Saturday, October 18, 2008

inspired to eccentricity

Went to the funeral of a godly man today, an old cowboy/oilman type with an Irish heritage, a talent for clever witicisms, and a beautiful daughter with a wonderful family (our friends).

The old guys with the interesting lives...the deep scars...the quirks in their personalities...those are the guys I'm drawn to...not the bland, vanilla, never seen a battle kind of guys, but the one's who actually dodged bullets in fox holes, saw hard times, and fought a few fights, and persevered to the end with the Lord. Those are the guys I want to see. Those are the guys I want to spend my time with. That's the kind of guy I want to be when I'm 80. (got a sinkin' feelin' I'm well on my way to eccentricity.)

That old man was remembered well today, and was well-loved.

Now he's kickin' back at the table with the rest of the guys in Hebrews 11.