Wednesday, October 15, 2008

doctrine divides

Every once in a while, I hear someone say, "I don't think we should be talking about doctrine. Doctrine divides."

To which I say:

You're darn skippy doctrine divides. It divides Truth from Error, Light from Darkness, Good from Evil, and Salvation from Eternal Punishment.

I'm not out to make an enemy. Like Paul says, "As much as possible, be at peace with all men." But when you fail to tell someone the Truth, you're leaving them in error, and the consequences of that can be eternal torment. You're not doing him or her any favors, and you're not earning any credit in the Kingdom either..."Well, Lord, I didn't want to offend anyone, so I just talked about the things that made them feel better, or smoothed over conflict".

The Lord has something to say about that in His Word: "If you see people who are going to the slaughter and you don't rescue them, their blood is on your head."

That's not something I want to hear as an assessment of my life on earth. How about you?