Thursday, November 6, 2008

you're called, but do you know it?

If you're an authentic believer/follower/disciple of Jesus Christ, then you have been commissioned...you have been called to make disciples...wherever you are.

I'm not talking about necessarily vocational ministry. I'm talking about engaging whoever might be around you with the Gospel.

When I was in High School, I was trying to reach my student/peers in the FCA and in evening and summer Bible studies.

When I was in College, I was involved in College ministries, and the local church...looking for opportunities to move people closer...to play my part...in moving people closer to Christ and to encourage those already in Him to grow and to engage in reaching those around them.

When I was a young family man, it was ministry in local churches, teaching and leading the young married Sunday School classes, starting men's Bible studies, meeting with men one-on-one in mentoring relationships.

In business, I used the resources I had, and the relationships I made, as a platform for ministry...to peers, employees, vendors, younger men in business, ...you get the point.

Now, it looks like I am going to make the jump to full-time vocational ministry, which will have it's own set of challenges and opportunities.

I'm not writing this here to brag about my exploits. They're really not that impressive. But, I do want to encourage you to see in practical terms, that the Lord has called you to make disciples...wherever you are. Look for the opportunities. Commit to following the Lord's commands in obedience.

If you're in college, are there opportunities to get involved with younger kids? Are there opportunities to get involved with your peers on campus? Do you need to get involved with an existing college ministry on campus or at your local church? Do you need to start something new? (I'm not talking about sitting in a large room singing some songs and listening to a speaker once a week...I'm talking about actively engaging in making disciples...being one first, and then doing your part in God's plan and effort to reach others...the lost...those who aren't going to church, etc.)

If you're in the business world, are you looking for opportunities to engage and to reach out to the people around you?

Are you actively involved in your local church? Are you being equipped for effective ministry? Are you purposefully encouraging and equipping others?